My youngest just loves making patterns. We are always doing them. We have done them on craft sticks since she was young. It was our family doctor that started them doing it. We would visit and he would give them a tongue depressor and crayons to play with. It has always been something they look forward to. This activity goes so great with Madeline. It is a classic book.
Madeline was give to our family after my oldest stayed in the PICU. We revisit the book when we end up in the ER or unexpected hospital visits. I love the story and that life is an adventure not something to be scared of. October ended up been a month for us with two ER visit and reading the book helps my girls remember the life can be fun.
I put simple and easy ABC patterns on the craft sticks. A is blue, B is green and C is red. The patterns I put on are AB, BCC, ACBB, BCC, and CA. I repeated the pattern at least twice so she would be sure to know it. For an older child I might just do the pattern once.
First we went over the patterns on the sticks. We repeated what would come after using our color words. We did a verbal telling of the pattern that would come next.
Then she colored the patterns on the sticks. This was fun to watch. She always takes time to make sure the pattern is correct.
After she finished her patterns she got to make some on her own. It was interesting to see what patterns she would pick. They can vary in size and
Check out all the fun patterns that were made!
Check out all the Madeline posts:
- Preschool Powol Packets – Name in Bed & Name Writing Activity
- Toddler Approved – Doubles Activity for Preschoolers
- Study At Home Mama – Madeline Small World & Sensory Bin
- Still Playing School – Madeline Snack
- I Can Teach My Child – Learning about Body Parts with Madeline
- Mama Miss – Exploring Art & Color
- Growing Book By Book – “Made””line”” Sensory Tray Writing
- Mom Inspired Life – Madeline Movement Game
- The Pleasantest Thing – Toddler Shape Activity
- Inspiration Laboratories – Build the Eiffel Tower
- Rainy Day Mum – Skip counting 2’s with Madeline
- The Educators Spin On It – Flowers for Madeline
Be sure to check out more of the Virtual Book Club Books for 2015-2016.
Cassie – 3Dinosaurs.com