We totally love Mo Willems books at our house! They are some favorites for sure. I was excited about Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs: As Retold by Mo Willems
for this month’s Virtual book Club book. If you had not guessed, we love dinosaurs at our house and have for years.
Today we have some fun gross motor activities you can use while you read the book or after you read the book.
We always read the book first. This is fun just to read the book. I love the voices that you can make with the book. At the end of the book, I always ask what gross motor they might do for each part of the story. I already have my ideas written down but you never know you kids will come up with.
We came up with several idea and some that my youngest came up with as well. I like to mix up the movements and have my girls moving different directions. I took some pictures of my youngest doing the activities but I love to join them in the gross motor. It is a lot more fun to get out and move with them than to just sit and watch.
Dinosaurs: We did a lot of stomping with roars and made funny faces. We stomped around the room making some loud growls and roars. We also did some tip-toeing pretending to be the dinosaurs sneaking around.
Goldilocks: We skipped around the room. We did small knee skips and big knee skips.
Ladder: We pretended to climb up the ladder. We counted up to 35 rungs on the ladder.
Bowl of Pudding: We did some small bowl stirring and some big bowl stirring. It was fun to pretend to be the dinosaur mixing and Goldilocks mixing.
Chairs: We pretend sit down in a chair. This was fun to see how low we could sit down.
Bed: We pretending to try and jump up onto the bed. This was fun to see how high we could jump.
Run: We did some running in place and running across the room to get away from the dinosaurs.
Door: We pretended to be the door that Goldilocks was opening. We kept on leg firm in place and move the other leg in a half turn making the same motion as a door.
These are really fun and kids love to get moving. We love doing gross motor with books!
Check out these other gross motor and book activities:
- Cat in the Hat Themed: Gross Motor Activity
- Where the Wild Things Are Gross Motor
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear Gross Motor Ideas
- Goodnight Moon Gross Motor
Check out all the Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs: As Retold by Mo Willems activities:
- Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs Sensory Retelling by Growing Book by Book
- Dinosaur Ice Egg Preschool Experiment at Preschool Powol Packets by Preschool Powl Packets
- Build a Trap for Dinosaurs by Inspiration Laboratories
- Dinosaur Alphabet Board Game by Mom Inspired Life
- Hot Chocolate Pudding by Sugar Spice and Glitter
- How Dinosaurs Can Help With Handwriting Struggles by The Pleasantest Thing
- Lego Norwegian Flag by Mama Miss
- Chocolate-Filled Little Dinosaur Bon-Bons by I Can Teach My Child
- How Many? Questions for Dinosaur Math by Rain Day Mum
- Dinosaur Shapes Game for Kids with Playdough by The Educators Spin On It
Be sure to check out more of the Virtual Book Club Books for 2015-2016. See all the books that we have completed already and the activities that we did with them.
Cassie – 3Dinosaurs.com