My girls had a hard time to pick what book they wanted to do. We have all three books but they liked The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) the best. We read this book over and over. I love how it turns out. The books with Pigeon in them are always fun to read!
We did some simple fine motor activity and did some counting of the chocolate chips on our cookies. This was fun and easy and a fun way to extend the story after we read it.
What you need: 10 brown circles with numbers 1 to 10 on them, 4 small stripes to cut, scissors, and glue stick.
The first thing we did was look at the plan cookies and their numbers. She put them in order from 1 to 10. We started with 10 and worked backwards. It was a challenge but lots of fun.
Next she started the fun of cutting up the black paper to be our chocolate chips and pasted them on the cookies to match the number on the cookie. This was fun fine motor and counting skills. We mixed up the numbers and she did them in order of how they came off the pile. After she finished them we counted the chips on each cookie to make sure she had the right amount.
Then we worked on some math similar to how we did our counting apples. We took a big number and looks to see the smaller numbers to add up to the bigger number.
We also did a which has the greater amount of chocolate chips. This was fun for her to say the number which had the biggest amount.
We had a great time reading The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) and playing with your cookies. One final thing we did was read through and put our number cookies on every page there was a cookie. It was lots of a fun.
This the first post of the Virtual Book Club for Kids for the 2014-2015 year! Be sure to check out all the other posts on the three books! I’m excited to read them all!
Check out all the Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Activities:
- Royal Baloo: Letter B is for Bus Craft
- Playdough to Plato: Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus Puppets
- Mama Miss: Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus Handprint Art
- Playing With Words 365: Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus: Puppets, Crafts and Storytelling
- Toddler Approved: Cardboard Box Bus Craft & Number Game for Kids
- Growing Book by Book: Pigeon Rhyming Race Activity
- Coffee Cups and Crayons: Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus Activity
- The Educators’ Spin On It: Pigeon and Bus Activities inspired by Mo Willems
Check out all the Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale activities:
Check out all the The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) activities:
- The Pleasantest Thing: Sticky Cookie Craft
- Inspiration Laboratories: The Duckling Gets a Cookie Math Games
- Lalymom: The Duckling Gets a Cookie Printable Clothespin Activity
- Rainy Day Mum: Nut Free Alphabet Cookies
I hope that you enjoy these activities!
Cassie – 3Dinosaurs.com