One thing I have learned about reading over the last few years is that no child learns or reads the same way. Each of my girls has learned to read in different ways. I have worked with them over the years to make things that match up with what they need for their reading.
One of those things has been several different easy reader books. I know a lot of times that you can’t always find a book that matches up to the sight word you are working on. I know often I found easy reader books that were great for one season but not for when we were working on the word.
I wanted to make some easy reader books that could be used all year and were fun for kids.
I know that not every child learns the same way and not all teachers and homeschoolers are looking for the same thing. I wanted to add something beyond just the easy reader books.
I had four main goals when I start the easy reader books were:
- Have a fun way to learn and practice reading their sight words.
- Read easy sentences with matching pictures.
- Help beginner readers start reading.
- Matching worksheets for each book.
I broke those goals into the four main parts of the set: easy reader books (color and black & white options), 2 worksheets that match the books, reader strips, and writing activity.
Sight Word Easy Reader Books
Each sight word book comes in color and black and white. I wanted people to have a choice in what they wanted to print. The books all have one main sight word with pictures that match the books. I wanted simple and easy books.
For each of the easy reader books, there are reading strips that match the books. Each of the words has a dot below to help those that need the extra help pointing to words. I put our reading strips on a 1 inch ring to make them easy to flip through. There is a fun cover for each set that can be found in the extras.
The worksheets in the set match up to each of the books. You can have the kids read the book and then do the worksheets. There are three different kids.
Two of the pages are similar to the books they read. They have the word to trace and then write or trace in the sentences. This gives them an extension from the book. Or you just might want to use those pages for learning the word. It allows you to be flexible in how you use this series.
The second worksheet is a writing one. These pages are for kids to write sentences from their book or the reader strips. This makes a really great center activity. You can give them the paper with easy reader book or reading strips and have them write four of the sentences from the book.
Here is a look at the current books out and their themes:
a – pet theme
and – farm theme
away – a transportation theme
big – animal theme
blue – things that are blue
can – gross motor theme
come – forest theme
down – ocean
find – bug theme
for – beach theme
funny – things that are funny
go – transportation theme
help – community helpers
here – shape theme
I – things I can do
in – forest theme
is – pond theme
it – weather theme
jump – things that can jump
little – bug theme
look – arctic animal theme
make – baking theme
me – playing activities
my – dishes theme
not – clothes theme
one – fruit theme
play – toy theme
red – things that are red
run – things that can run
said – animals says theme
see – ocean theme
the – space theme
three – desert theme
to – travel theme
two – hiking theme
up: looking up
we: veggie theme
where: items we use
yellow: things that are yellow
you: breakfast foods
What you will find in these printables:
- All 40 Dolch Preprimer Sight Words: a, and, away, big, blue, can, come, down, find, for, funny, go, help, here, I, in, is, it, jump, little, look, make, me, my, not, one, play, red, run, said, see, the, three, to, two, up, we, where, yellow, you.
- 2 different Sight Word Worksheets with tracing the word, tracing or writing in a sentence, and coloring words – No Prep
- Reading Strips – Color & Black & White
- Sight Word Sentence Writing from the book or reader strips
- Easy Reader Book Single Print – Black & White
- Easy Reader Book Teacher Print – Black & White
- Easy Reader Book Single Print – Color
- Easy Reader Book Teacher Print – Color
- Over 1000 pages of printables
- Price: $30 dollars
These books are only available in the set.
You can check out a sample of the books here.
If you are looking for more Preprimer sight word activities check these out:
- Romping & Roaring Preprimer Sight Words Packs
- Dolch Preprimer Sight Word Wall Cards
- Preprimer Sight Word Trace & Find the Word
- Preprimer Sight Word Coloring Bookmarks
Cassie – 3Dinosaurs.com