My youngest just loves to play with buttons. We use them in a lot of our hands on activities. When we got the book Corduroy for this months Virtual Book Club. My youngest wanted to make sure we did some kind of counting with the buttons.
This activity is easy to set up activity. It does not take much time to put together. My girls love when I pull out the buttons to do activities. Plus it goes so well with our book for the month. It is a great book about adventures through the store.
What you need for this activity: bear cut outs, black marker, and buttons.
I used the bear cookie cutter to make our bear shapes. I put the nubmer words 1 through 10 on the bears. I also pulled out some of the various buttons that we have collected over the years for activities.
When presented with the activity she decided that she would put the bears in order. We had to review a few of the words that she was not sure about. We have worked on them every now and then but sometimes it is easy to forget when you don’t review them often. She decided to put them in two rows on the table. After she got them in order she counted forwards and then backwards.
She decided that she wanted to put the buttons on the bear in her own order. She would count out the button from the bin of buttons and then count them when she put the on the bears. She did the biggest number first and then the smallest. She had fun counting the buttons and picking out fun ones to use.
We got to review the number words each time she counted as well. She counted up to each number and then counted backwards from the number she was on.
After we got done we looked and compared the buttons on the bears. We talked about the colors of buttons and which ones were different on each bear.
Also check out these other number activities:
- Carrot Number Matching Activity
- Easy to Make Train Math Game
- Pumpkin Counting In Sand
- Counting with Ten Black Dots
- Number Button Sensory Bin
Check out all the activities for Corduroy:
- Button Box ABC creations by Rainy Day Mum
- Learning Your Name with the Corduroy Book by Growing Book by Book
- Teddy Bear Button Counting Activity by Mom Inspired Life
- Button Hop – A Movement Game for Toddlers by Inspiration Laboratories
- Teddy Bear Picnic Dessert Idea by The Educators Spin on It
- Button Stacking by Still Playing School
- Pre-Writing Fun Inspired By Corduroy by Toddler Approved
- Corduroy Math: Learning with Buttons by I Can Teach My Child
- Corduroy’s Button Sensory Bin & Fine Motor Fun by Preschool Powol Packets
- Helping Corduroy Find His Button! by Sugar, Spice and Glitter
- Colorful Friendship Bracelets by Mama Miss
Be sure to check out more of the Virtual Book Club Books for 2015-2016. See all the books that we have completed already and the activities that we did with them.
Cassie – 3Dinosaurs.com