We love adding gross motor to books. For this months Virtual Book Club, we did gross motor with Goodnight Moon. This makes a fun books that my girls enjoy another fun way to explore the book. Plus it gets them up and going while reading a book they love.
This is simple easy to do. I always look at the elements of the book that can be used with a movement. Some examples are: cow, bear, mouse, sit, jump, and any others I think that fit. I’m going to tell you and show a few of the movements we did.
We read the book in order and did the movements as they came. The first one we did was for balloon. She slowly rose up from the floor. The challenge is to do it as slow as you can.
She rolled around on her back for the moon. This is great for getting deep press on the body.
For the cow and kittens we did some crawling on the around. This is great for developing the core.
For jumping over the moon we jumped over a stuff animal. She loved doing this and we repeated it several times.
For the mitten and socks, She shook her hands for the mittens and the stocks she kicked her feet.
She also did the movements of a clock with both arms. This was fun we did slow arms and fast arms.
She also acted out talking on a phone, brushing hair, eat and waving goodnight.
This made reading the book tons of fun! There is always so many ways you can explore books.
Check out our other gross motor and book activities:
- Cow Who Clucked Gross Motor
- Baby Bear, Baby Bear Gross Motor
- Wheels on the Bus Gross Motor
- Jump Frog Jump Gross Motor with Printable
Check out all the Goodnight Moon activities:
- Inspiration Laboratories- Goodnight Moon I Spy Game
- Lalymom- Goodnight Moon Book Words Printable Activity
- Still Playing School – Soothing Scented Goodnight Moon Inspired Sensory Play
- The Pleasantest Thing – Good Night Moon Sensory Bottle
- The Educators’ Spin On It – Storytelling Necklace Inspired by Goodnight Moon
Check out all the The Important Book activities:
- Growing Book by Book- The Important Book: Making An All About Me Book
- Mama Miss – The Important Book
Check out all the The Runaway Bunny activities:
- Toddler Approved – M&M Bunny Patterning Activity for Kids
- Rainy Day Mum – Match Pairs – The Runaway Bunny Inspired Game
Check out these other books by Margaret Wise Brown:
Cassie – 3Dinosaurs.com