In the spring we did the Caldecott Medal Books for the them. It was a lot of fun. This month we are doing the Newberry Medal Winners. All of these books are not picture books. This is something different for the book club and I’m excited about it. We are going to pick one book and I’ll be reading it to my girls all month! We are really excited about it.
There are lots of books to pick from. I thought I would highlight some of my favorite books from the list. I have not read a lot of the newer Newberry Medal Winner books, but I do hope to at some time.
Here are some of our favorite books from the Newberry Medal Winners:
- The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread
- The Hero and the Crown
- Bridge to Terabithia
- A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet)
Here are some of our favorite books from the Newberry Honors Books:
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins
- Because of Winn-Dixie
- Ella Enchanted (Trophy Newbery)
- The Blue Sword
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
- Old Yeller (HarperClassics)
- Charlotte’s Web (Trophy Newbery)
To see a full list of all the winners and honor books you can check out them out here: The Newbery Medal for Best Children’s Book
If you’re interested in joining this month’s Poppin Nook Book club, here’s what you need to do…
- Comment below and let us know that you are joining in!
- Pick your favorite Newberry Medal Winners (or a new one you want to check out) and read it with your child or class.
- Create an activity, project, craft, cooking project, etc. related to the book and do it.
- Come back and share it with us as part of a big Newberry Medal Winners blog hop on Monday, September 28th! The linky will be live for 3 weeks, so if you aren’t ready to post on the 28th… just join in when you can!
Here are some of the people joining in the link up this month.
Here all the themes and the dates for this year Poppins Book Nook:
March: Weather – Introduction – Free Weather Pack
April 27th: Farms – Introduction – Free Roll a Farm Printable!
May 25th: Caldecott Medal Books – Introduction – Easy Craft: Yarn Pictures
June 29th: Forest/Woods – Introduction – Wildlife Sorting: Diurnal, Nocturnal & Crepuscular
July 27th: Composers – Introduction – Exploring Music Notes & Composers
August 31: Books that Were made into Movies – Introduction – King of the Wild Things Crown
September 28th: Newberry Medal Winners
October 26th: Artists
November 30th: Feast Around the World
January 25th: Countries Around the World
February 29th: Ponds, Lakes & Rivers
What is your Newberry Medal Winners book?
Cassie – 3Dinosaurs.com