Playdough mats have always been one of our favorite sight word learning tools. I find that learning new words with playdough is fun.
These free Preprimer Sight Word Playdough Mats with Tracing are a great extension of a basic sight word playdough mat. They have more than one skill on the same page. You have the playdough word, tracing the word and writing the word. Three fun skills on the same page!
I’m always surprised to see just adding a different element that they learning so much more.
We have included links to some of the products and resources we have used with this activity. If you purchase via the links we may earn a small commission.
This is a great addition to the sight word printables on the site.
There were made to keep learning sight words fun. I love that these mats put many different skills together. You have the playdough for fine motor work, tracing and writing for writing skills, and spelling.
Each of the play doh mats has a big word for the playdough word. Then there are two lines for tracing and writing the sight word.
Things to use with these playdough mats
There are just a few of the items we have used with these mats. You can see below how we used some of these items.
- copy paper
- laminating pouches
- sheet protectors
- dry erase markers
- white cardstock
- color cardstock
How to use these sight word playdough mats
I like to print our playdough mats on white cardstock and put them in sheet protectors. It allows me to switch them out as I need them. But if you plan on using them a lot then I suggest you laminate them.
The sheet protectors also make it easy to store the playdough mats in a binder. I like to keep all my resouces for one word in a binder. That makes it easy to find what I’m looking for.
The most basic way to use these mats is with playdough! But don’t think that kids have to do the tracing part. You can always have a group of kids that do just the playdough area. And another group that does the playdough and tracing of the words. Let you kids use these to the level they are at.
Don’t feel like these always have to be on white paper. They don’t have to be. I have one of my girls that always hates white paper for anything. I make sure she has her colored paper when I can. And since these are black and white you do print on color cardstock.
Another way to use these pages is with crayons. You can color the words and then trace and write the words in crayon as well. It makes a fun page to take home.
The mats also work well for small objects. We use glass gems a lot around the house and these are perfect for the letters.
If you have one that likes putty then let them use it on the mat. We love Crazy Aarons Thinking Putty and use it often on the mats.
What you will find in the free sight word playdough mat printable:
- It has the following preprimer sight words: a, and, away, big, blue, can, come, down, find, for, funny, go, help, here, I, in, is, it, jump, little, look, make, me, my, not, one, play, red, run, said, see, the, three, to, two, up, we, where, yellow, you
- Big word for playdough mat
- 2 lines for tracing and writing
Sight Word Preprimer Playdough Mat with Tracing & Writing Selling Set
This has the mats above plus an additional option of small cards to put on a ring to work on the words. You can get both together.
What you will find in these printables:
- It has the following words: a, and, away, big, blue, can, come, down, find, for, funny, go, help, here, I, in, is, it, jump, little, look, make, me, my, not, one, play, red, run, said, see, the, three, to, two, up, we, where, yellow, you
- Sight Cards with single trace and write to put on a ring
- Single page for Each word with multiple trace and write
- 62 pages of printables
- Price: 3.50
Check out these other Preprimer Sight Word printables:
- Romping & Roaring Preprimer Sight Words Packs
- Sight Word Read Write & Stamp
- Sight Word Color by Letter
- Sight Word Writing Printables
Cassie – 3Dinosaurs.com