If you have followed me for a while, you know that I just love gross motor activities! I have had people ask me for a Fall Themed 30 Days of moving with Kids post for a long time! This year I’m getting to do that. We do a lot of gross motor activities at our house. I don’t always post all of them. This month you will see a few more post than normal.
If you want to read the original 30 Days of Moving with Kids you can check it out. A lot of those ideas will work for fall as well.
The challenge is a 30-day that my girls and I are doing for October! We are starting October 2nd. We are going to do as much as we can every day. The idea is that everyone does this together! That means that I’ll be doing the activities with my girls. So that everyone can see what your are doing post on Instagram with the hashtag #30daysofmovingwithkids or on the daily post on Facebook.
If you are looking for something fun to keep track of your progress, I encourage you to check out the Free 30 Days of Gross Motor Tracking Printable. This is a good way to track each day. You can write ideas down in advance or fill it in as you go. I know that fall can means being inside, so I’m going to post a few inside ideas as well.
- Do a Fall Themed Gross motor from a book
- Pretend to harvest crop from a field: apples, pumpkins, corn, potatos, onions, and other fruits and vegtables.
- Pretend to rake leaves
- Pretend to be a bird migraing south for the winter
- Wheel barrow walking
- Run through Leaf piles
- Make Leaf mazes
- Rake Leaves – or pretend to rake leaves
- Check out more Leaf Gross Motor ideas here
- Toss up fake leaves on a blanket
- Pretend to be a leaf falling to the ground
- Do a challenge os picking up as many fake leaves on the floor in 30 seconds and repeat
- Tip Toe through the field avoid the pretend leaves on the floor
- Act out fall animals: squirrel, turkey, bear, owl, goose, racoon, mice, and fox – Plus any others you want to add as well.
- Do silly walks across the room
- Take baby, giant and normal steps across the room
- Roll like a log across the room
- Do some Bear walking Activities
- Do a squirrel walk and acron pick up in the room
- Do a Letter Walk
- Jumping: in place, back and forth, side to side
- Hoping: one leg, two leg
- Do a Book Themed Gross motor (Round up Coming Soon)
- Pick a Letter and do a gross motor activity that starts with that letter Example: A – Ant
- Writing activities on leaves and have them pick it out
- Dance slow, fast, wild or crazy to music
- Do a classic game: hot potato, head shoulders knees and toes, Hookie pookie, etc
- Create a tape balance beam on the floor
- Make a tape plank and do silly walks off it
- Chinese jump rope
- hula hoop
- Stuff animal toy toss
- Push sibling arounds in a cardboard box
- Do some Halloween themed gross motor: witch, zombie, bat, cat, ghost, caludron and more
You can also check out the ideas from the 31 Days of Gross Motor Challenge from a few years back. I did a round up each week of what we did. You might get some more ideas from these:
- Gross Motor Challenge Week 1
- Gross Motor Challenge Week 2
- Gross Motor Challenge Week 3
- Gross Motor Challenge Week 4
- Gross Motor Challenge Week 5
If you are not sure, you want to use those ideas you can also check out the Gross Motor Printable List. In the printable you will find: Lists for some of the following types of movements: Rolling & Running, Coordination Movements, Kicking, Throwing or Tossing, Pretend Movements, Jumping & Hoping, Animal & Insect, Walking & Marching, Classic Games, and Dance & Music. The printable is a bit of fun to use. We have really enjoyed it.
I have written ideas from the printable and put in a jar. This gives us some random activities to do.
I hope that I have give you loads of ideas you can try for this months Gross Motor Challenge! Be sure to keep an eye out for more gross motor post this month!
Be on the look out soon for a round-up of book and gross motor ideas!
Cassie – 3Dinosaurs.com